view:  full / summary

REMINDER : Meeting & A.G.M. this Friday 10th November

Posted by Paul Jameson on November 8, 2017 at 6:40 AM Comments comments (0)

Dear Supporters,

Just a reminder that our next meeting (and A.G.M.) is this Friday 10th November.

The venue is Cuckney Village Hall (car parking and meeting entry is free)

Meeting time is 7:30pm

For full Agenda please see post below.


Paul Jameson

Progress Update

Posted by Paul Jameson on July 11, 2017 at 8:20 AM Comments comments (0)

Dear All,

As told to our meeting on May 19th, having received initial support from the PCC on Feb . 21st for an application for a Faculty to the Diocese for a 1 pit analysis, we were then dismayed in March to be turned down for HLF funding re. invasive skeletal examinations at St. Mary’s, Cuckney.

However, we promised (and were encouraged by the HLF) to submit another bid to the HLF by 21st June but this has now slipped to 21st August but is guaranteed to happen by then !

It will be for c. £60,000.

The components of this will be :-

• Cuckney Castle (invasive work – trial trenches)

• Norton & Carburton POW Camps – including on site work

• Selected fields on the other side of the River Poulter

Supported by :

• Terrain analysis


As a necessary prelude to the new bid, having had our initial Project Enquiry (1,000 word web form) accepted, Jennie & I are attending an HLF “Small Grants Workshop” on Friday 14th July.

This will then immediately enable us to start filling in the 6,000 word “Our Heritage” Grant form.

We should then find out in about 6 weeks (early October) whether this has been successful.

Due to the planning that will then need to take place (competitive tendering etc..) & with winter approaching it may be Mar 18 before this work takes place.

It’s worth reflecting that the LIDAR will be a useful tool in pinpointing elements that could also have ramifications for the Battle of Hatfield related topics.

In parallel, we have submitted a professional private funding bid for £150,000 to a local company, who have already reviewed this.

It has not been turned down.

However, they will not be in a position to give a definitive answer until approximately the end of August 2017.

This would be to cover invasive work (ie. digging) at St. Mary’s re. skeletons that may be from the Battle of Hatfield (if we have been awarded the faculty).

It is also for invasive work at St. Edwin’s Chapel (that may have been the temporary resting place of Edwin’s (headless) body from c. 632AD to a max. of c. 715 AD).

It would be marvellous if this was in the affirmative and we hope it would enable the PCC Faculty Request to be made soon afterwards.

Your suggestions are also very welcome.


Paul Jameson

Meeting REMINDER and airing of our interview with Mansfield Radio 103.2 FM

Posted by Paul Jameson on May 17, 2017 at 8:20 AM Comments comments (0)

Dear All,

You may remember that we had an interview with Mansfield Radio 103.2 FM at the Greendale Oak (attended by 9 supporters / contributors) on the 30th January.

It has now been confirmed by Craig Priest, PRODUCER - MANSFIELD 103.2 that :

“Providing nothing big happens nationally to change plans - the show will air on Thursday 25th May 6 - 7 PM”

Also, I'd like to remind you that we have a meeting at 7:30pm this Friday (19th) at Cuckney Village Hall (free admission).

Please come along and support the project.


From All The Team

9th Meeting 19th May Agenda

Posted by [email protected] on April 24, 2017 at 2:55 AM Comments comments (0)

BOHIS talk at Elmton with Creswell Local History Group tomorrow night at 7pm

Posted by Paul Jameson on April 5, 2017 at 4:00 AM Comments comments (0)

Dear All,

Apologies for the very short notice, but if you would like to attend a talk at Elmton with Creswell Local History Group tomorrow, then here are the details.

This will include the very latest on the Battle of Hatfield Investigation’s Society’s quest to resolve the mystery of the skeletons discovered in 1950/1 at St Mary’s Cuckney.

The talk itself will last just over an hour and there will then be time for immediate questions & follow ups over tea or coffee.


Paul Jameson

Details :

When : Thursday April 6th from 7- 9pm

Where : In the Cavendish Room in the Social Centre in Creswell

Directions : The Social Centre is on Elmton Road in Creswell and if you come off the main Sheffield to Mansfield Road, turn into Elmton Road, continue straight forward until you have driven under the railway bridge, passed the Junior School on your left, then the Social Centre is the next building. Pass by the front of the Centre, take the first turn left onto Pit Lane then a few yards on the left turn in and this will bring you into a large car park behind the building.

Entry Fee : is £2.50 for the evening and 50p for a coffee or tea - pay on the night.

Sat. 1st April - Meeting With Hunter Archaeological Society at St. Marys Cuckney at 11am

Posted by Paul Jameson on March 28, 2017 at 2:50 AM Comments comments (0)

Dear All,

We are meeting c. 11 members of the (Sheffield based) Hunter Archaeological Society at St. Mary’s Cuckney at 11am this Saturday 1st April.


We will be having a walk and talk at St. Mary’s and then “repairing” to the Greendale Oak for lunch and further questions.


All are welcome to join us but I would be grateful if you could let me know via an email to :

[email protected]

by 3pm on 29th March if you are attending and whether I should include you in the table reservation numbers (if having food).






Good News .. Bad News ... The Way Forward

Posted by Paul Jameson on March 17, 2017 at 4:35 AM Comments comments (0)

Dear All,


Sorry for not reporting back earlier but an awful amount of work and subsequent deliberations have been taking place over the last few weeks.


Firstly the good news … The P.C.C. will support a Diocesan Faculty approach


As previously alerted, we duly met the P.C.C. (Parochial Church Council) on the 20th February with a view to obtaining their support for invasive analysis of 2 of our Community vote adopted preferences.

As a reminder :


Where PREFERENCE 1 = (External Feature 1) - NE Modern Graveyard Large Reinterment feature

Where PREFERENCE 2 = (External Feature 2) - Immediately external to Nave - Non Reinterments



Where PREFERENCE 1 = (External Feature 1) - NE Modern Graveyard Large Reinterment feature

Where PREFERENCE 3 = (External Feature 5) - in Line with West Tower nr. Northern Boundary Reinterments (“small depression")



As promised, the P.C.C. communicated next day that they would support an invasive bid but only initially for our Preference 1 (the large feature in the central portion of the modern graveyard).

However they also stated that they had not ruled out any of our other preferences.

Whilst this is great news, our enthusiasm was tempered slightly by concern that the evidence from Preference 1 might not be enough to achieve a statistically significant result (& hence be inconclusive).

A certain critical volume of uncorrupted skeletal analysis (bones & teeth) needs to be available in order to ensure confidence in the findings.

Hence we are seeking advice as to whether a single target will be sufficient to excite funding.



Secondly .. the Bad News … Funding

We met the H.L.F. on the 3rd March, where they declined to support an invasive bid re. the features discovered at St. Mary’s.

The skeletal analysis is likely to cost upwards of £50,000 and they do not believe that high cost archaeological projects represent value re. “Community outcomes”.



Towards an Amended HLF Bid … (by 21st May 2017) ?


The HLF have now suggested that we put together a revised bid (without skeletal excavations).

Whilst they made no firm suggestions, we are querying the need for Terrain analysis (as part of a revised HLF bid) as a necessary precursor of AHRC (Arts & Humanities Research Council) excavative work.

We appreciate that if Terrain analysis were to include test pits then that might enable us to find elements from the battlefield that would better excite AHRC funding.


However we have 2 concerns :


1/ The difficulties of determining an Anglo-Saxon battlefield location

2/ In not involving experts (such as Dr. Glenn Foard) in that HLF funded terrain analysis, that we might not achieve the optimal battlefield result (and that it would be better considered lastly, separately, after the AHRC analysis)



A new HLF Project Enquiry / bid may therefore cover :-

• Cuckney Castle (invasive) (part of our recently rejected project enquiry)

• St. Edwin’s Chapel , Edwinstowe (invasive) – as a substitute for anomalies excavation

• Norton & Carburton P.O.W. Camps (research) (part of our recently rejected project enquiry)


• Terrain Analysis ? (invasive) ? (NOT part of our recently rejected project enquiry)



Whilst we would be minded to accept expert advice re. Terrain analysis the question needs to be asked, “If we are not invasively searching for the battlefield (via terrain analysis) – then why will that analysis produce compelling evidence that will ensure the AHRC supply the funding re. the anomalies ?”

Although ambitious, we may be able to put in a HLF funding bid by 21st May and receive notification of success (or otherwise !) by early July.



Summary of Proposed new HLF Bid Options

Option 1 – With Terrain Analysis

Option 2 – Without Terrain Analysis


If Option 1 is appropriate then we will expect deliverables from the terrain analysis to excite a discreet (but later) AHRC funded anomalies analysis.

If Option 2 is preferred then we will seek help / advice to enable an AHRC funded pit analysis as a parallel work stream to the HLF project.



Obtaining Funding From A Different Source – the A.H.R.C. ?

We are about to ask for advice on obtaining alternative funding via an A.H.R.C. grant (for a University led project for this element of the project).


There is now a further issue re. Faculty Timing – If we were awarded a faculty, (then as this is strictly awarded for 1 year) - we would not wish this to lapse due to funding unavailability.





Having worked very hard for 4 years you may be assured that we remain fully committed to obtaining a timely resolution to this exciting project.


Many thanks to the 53 people who attended our talk at Worksop library on Wednesday (15th March).





From All The Team


Talk at Worksop Library, Weds. 15th March @ 2pm

Posted by Paul Jameson on March 8, 2017 at 2:15 AM Comments comments (0)

Did a King Die at Cuckney?

Wednesday 15th March 2017, 2 - 3pm

Worksop Library


Tickets: £3

Booking advised

Call 01909 535353 or book at


As the Battle of Hatfield Investigation Society continues its search for the last battle of King Edwin, its chairman Paul Jameson describes the background, aims and progress of this exciting local archaeology project.


Meeting With The Parochial Church Council (P.C.C.) on the 20th February

Posted by Paul Jameson on February 15, 2017 at 2:35 AM Comments comments (0)

Dear All,


On the 3rd January we presented the Parochial Church Council (P.C.C.) with a document entitled, "Supporting Information for Faculty Request".

This document is available here


This details the Preferences adopted by Community vote for sampling work at St. Mary's.

Further to this, the Parochial Church Council (P.C.C.) briefly discussed our document at their meeting on the 6th February.

We have now been invited to explain our case at a special meeting (next Monday 20th February @ 7:30pm).

Andy Gaunt (Mercian Director) and I will be attending and this should last about 30 minutes.

The P.C.C. will then make a decision and communicate this to us the next day (21st).


Clearly a positive decision is absolutely crucial to the continuance of the whole project.


At the meeting we will :-

• Stress that 330 people have already lindicated that they would like to take part (of which about 200 will be children from 2 local schools)

• That 85 community members have voted for these options

• That about 7,000 (free) hours have already been put into the project

• Ask if the PCC have an overall future strategy for St. Mary’s - and discuss how this project could help the Church financially ?


A Flexible Approach

With flexibility in mind, we have bundled 3 of our 5 preferences into 2 (mutually exclusive) Requests which involve Preferences 1 to 3 but we have also included the 2 other preferences in reserve.

Hence we would prefer to undertake Request 1, but if this is not possible would then opt for Request 2.

If neither Request is possible then we would consider substituting in 1 or both of the other 2 preferences.


We would love to work with the P.C.C. to arrive at a solution acceptable to both parties.

This would allow the P.C.C. to petition the Diocese of Southwell for a Faculty.

We will let you know the outcome as soon as possible.



From All at BOHIS